With particular input from Paul Woollam, a Quintessa Associate, and Venn Engineering, Quintessa has addressed a wide range of issues that JAPC are dealing with. This has included:
- comparing engineering options for core dismantling, including cost estimation;
- reviewing the decommissioning waste inventory assumptions;
- examining the lessons learned and applicability of a UK demonstration project on graphite cored reactor dismantling;
- documenting waste minimisation technologies for Magnox wastes;
- assistance in exploring the scope for recycling large metal items; and
- examining safety assessment requirements for deferred decommissioning of reactors.