Quintessa's geochemical modelling consulting capabilities and experience includes:
Acquisition of geochemical data
- advising on appropriate groundwater and rock sampling locations;
- advising on appropriate methods for sampling, preservation, storage and analysis of waters;
- advising on appropriate methods for sampling, preservation, storage and analysis of rock samples;
- interpretation of porewater data from low-permeability rocks (e.g. squeezed porewater samples from clays, leachates from crystalline rocks) in terms of in-situ porewater compositions;
- assessment of data quality;and
- auditing of laboratory facilities.
Modelling the chemical evolution of engineered materials
- evolution of cements;
- evolution of bentonite;
- corrosion of metals;
- cement-bentonite-metal-water interactions;
- cement-rock-water and bentonite-rock-water interactions;
- evolution of gas from wastes and engineered materials emplaced in sub-surface environments; and
- groundwater quality evaluation, including: simulating the behaviour of inorganic pollutants in groundwater; and advising on chemical remediation methods.
Simulating the evolution of geothermal systems
- high-temperature water-rock reactions;
- formation scaling;
- well scaling;
- chemistry of discharged fluids; and
- chemical interactions during re-injection of evolved fluids.
- interpretation of stable isotopic data (18O/16O, 34S/32S, 13C/12C, 37Cl etc) in terms of groundwater and solute origins;
- interpretation of radiogenic isotopic data (14C, 36Cl, 81Kr, 3H, 3He/4He etc) in terms of groundwater residence times ('groundwater dating');
- calculation of recharge temperatures from noble gas data; and
- interpretation of mineralogical information in terms of past chemical conditions (e.g. pH and redox conditions) and groundwater flow patterns.
Thermodynamic database development, verification and testing
- review of thermodynamic data;
- testing and verification of thermodynamic databases;
- addition of thermodynamic data to existing thermodynamic databases; and
- reformatting of thermodynamic databases for different software packages.
Quintessa makes use of the standard geochemical and reactive transport software tools where they are most appropriate, and our in-house QPAC software for reactive transport problems, optionally coupled to thermal and mechanical processes, that are beyond the capability of standard codes.