SSM has contracted a number of external experts to support its review of SR-PSU. Quintessa is supporting SSM in the areas of geochemical review, reactive transport modelling, radionuclide transport modelling and biosphere modelling.
Within the main review phase, Quintessa was tasked with re-implementing key aspects of SKB’s radionuclide transport and biosphere models using the AMBER code and with developing independent models of the evolution of engineered barrier materials using the QPAC code. Quintessa has authored the following chapters in the main phase review reports:
- Review of geochemical aspects of SR-PSU – Main review phase by Richard Metcalfe, Steven J. Benbow, James C. Wilson, and David Savage
- Review of Initial State and Process Reports for Waste, Barriers, and Geosphere by Richard Metcalfe
- SR-PSU Main Review Phase: Radionuclide Transport Modelling by George Towler and James Penfold
- Consequence analysis review: importance of caissons in 2BMA by George Towler and James Penfold
- In-depth review of key issues regarding biosphere models for specific radionuclides in SR-PSU by Russell Walke, Laura Limer and George Shaw
- Review of specific topics relating to the biosphere dose assessment for key radionuclides by Russell Walke, Laura Limer, and George Shaw
The initial review phase findings were published in SSM report 2016:09.