Quintessa supports developers and regulators of geological disposal facilities in developing Performance Assessments (PAs) and Environmental Safety Cases (ESCs) that provide quantitative and qualitative evidence relating to long-term safety.
Our capabilities and experience is based on our integrative systems assessment services and includes:
- analysis of key Features Events and Processes (FEPs) and development of assessment scenarios that underlie a comprehensive safety case;
- development of conceptual models that reflect the available data and understanding of key processes;
- development and application of mathematical models for understanding key processes, and also for assessing sub-system and total system performance;
- near-field evolution and release modelling;
- flow and transport modelling in porous and/or fractured rocks;
- consequences of waste-derived gas including coupled modelling of resaturation, gas generation and two-phase gas/water flow;
- modelling radionuclide transfer and exposure in the biosphere including consideration of non-human biota as receptor species;
- assessment of the impacts of human actions including human intrusion;
- analysis of exposure to chemotoxic components of the waste inventory;
- uncertainty analysis, and assessment of the effects of spatial and temporal variability;
- use of multiple lines of reasoning, including natural and historical analogues and supplementary analyses to support system understanding and stakeholder confidence;
- documenting and presenting assessments for a range of audiences, and identification of future R&D needs; and
- system specification, optioneering and optimisation studies.